With Thanksgiving in the review mirror and Christmas looming just ahead, you're probably looking for gifts for the men in your life.
While you could buy the latest video game or the newest phone accessory, ask yourself how long the enjoyment of that gift would last? A month maybe, or a year tops?
Personally, I think the best gifts for your hard-earned cash are those that can bring happiness for years to come.
In the list below you'll find gifts that would have been enjoyed 50 years ago and can be enjoyed 50 years from now. No gimmicky garbage included.
Classic gifts for the gentleman in your life
1. Shave Kit– For the man who respects the old ways. Give him the gift of a classic shaving kit with vintage flair. The Parker 96R is a great introduction to traditional wet shaving.
2. Watch – Keep it classic! You want to buy a watch he'll be able to wear for years to come. As a bonus, he'll think of you every time he looks at it. This Timex watch has a simple face and a removable leather band so you can switch it out for a nylon strap to mix things up if you'd like.
3. Dopp Kit (toiletry bag) – Perfect for the frequent traveler. Even if he's more of a homebody, it'll help keep all of his things in one stylish place. This waxed cotton version from Will Leather Goods is sure to last a lifetime and will only get better with age.
4. French Press – The perfect gift for the coffee lover in your life. Get local-coffee-shop quality brews at home. I've been using this model by Bonjour twice daily for the past 6 years. Don't forget whole bean coffee and a good grinder.
5. Cocktail Guide – For the cocktail connoisseur of the group, you can't go wrong with an essential manual like The Gentleman's Guide to Cocktails. Pair this with a good bottle of bourbon or rye and some bitters, and he'll be on his way to making perfect classic cocktails.
6. Cold Weather Accessories – Who doesn't need a pair of gloves, hat, and scarf? The worse the weather gets, the more he'll thank you. These cashmere lined leather gloves are the best you'll find for the money. This scarf is highly stylish and versatile and this hat is sure to get plenty of use.
7. Weekend Bag – Whether it's for a weekend road trip or just to the gym and back, every guy needs a quality duffle bag. This one comes from Fjallraven, a Swedish company know for making extremely high quality outdoor gear for the past 50 years.
8. Grown-up Wallet – Help him get organized, and maybe alleviate some back pain, with a new slim card case. With just enough room for essential cards and an emergency $20, this is a gift that's sure to help him earn some sophistication points. Hartmann has been making luggage and leather goods since 1877, so they know a thing or two about making wallets.
9. Shoe Care Kit – Know a guy who owns shoes worth polishing? If so, he's the type of man who'll appreciate this gift. This kit by Allen Edmonds contains everything he needs to protect his investments. All that's left for him to do is read my shoe care post and get to work.
10. Camp Axe – For the rugged outdoorsman or the weekend warrior. Don't go camping without it. This model from Husqvarna is recognized by wilderness experts to be the best bang for your buck. Swing carefully.
Don't forget the Stocking Stuffers
If you're looking for a few little somethings that will make a big impact, look no further.
Feel free to pick my brain in the comments below with any gifting questions. Happy hunting!